How to Convert a Doc File to a Docx File
This wikiHow teaches you how to create a Docx version of an old Microsoft Word document in Doc format, and save a separate copy to your computer in in Docx. Open your Doc file in Microsoft Word. Find and double-click your document to open...
Method 1 of 2:
- Open your Doc file in Microsoft Word. Find and double-click your document to open it in Word.
- Click the tab on the top-left. This will open your file options on a drop-down menu.
- On Windows, this button is next to Home in the upper-left corner of Word.
- On Mac, it's on your menu bar in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Click on the File menu. This option will open a new dialogue box. You can save your document in a different, compatible file format here.
- If this doesn't automatically open a new dialogue box, click Browse on the Save As page.
- Click the format drop-down at the bottom of the Save As window. This will open a list of all the available file formats you can use.
- On Windows, this menu is labeled as Save as type below the File name field.
- On Mac, it's labeled as File Format at the bottom.
- Select as your file type. This will allow you to save a separate copy of the same document in Docx format.
- Select a saving location for your document. Find the folder where you want to save your Docx document, and click on the folder name to select it.
- Click on the bottom-right. This will save a copy of your document to the selected location. Your new document will be saved in Docx format.
Method 2 of 2:
Using Google Docs
- Open Google Docs in an internet browser. Type docs.google.com into the address bar, and hit ↵ Enter or ⏎ Return on your keyboard.
- Click the Blank option on the top-left. You can find this option below the "Start a new document" heading in the upper-left corner of your screen. It will open a new, blank document.
- Click the tab on the top-left. You can find it below the "Untitled document" heading in the upper-left corner of the page. It will open your file options on a drop-down menu.
- Click on the drop-down menu. This will open a new pop-up window titled "Open a file."
- Click the tab in the "Open a file" window. You can find it at the top of the pop-up window.
- Click the blue button. This will allow you to select and upload the file you want to convert.
- Upload the document you want to convert. Click the Doc file you want to upload, and click the Open button in the lower-right corner. This will upload your document, and open it in Google Docs.
- Alternatively, you can drag and drop your file here to upload it.
- Click the tab. It's located below the document name in the upper-left corner of the page.
- Hover over on the File menu. A sub-menu will pop up with your file format options.
- Select on the "Download as" menu. This will download a Docx version of your document to your browser's default folder for downloads.
- If you don't have a default folder for browser downloads, you'll be prompted to select a saving location.
- How to convert doc, docx to PDF by Cloudconvert
- How to convert Word to a CSV file
- Instructions to convert doc doc to docx
- How to convert PDF files to doc or docx files with Zamzar online
- 2 ways to convert PDF files to Docx for free on Mac
- Trick to convert docx tail to quick doc
- How to Convert a WordPerfect Document to a Microsoft Word Document
- Instructions for converting Docx to Doc files online