How to Number the Lines in Excel?
Are you looking for a way to number sequentially in Excel when spacing lines but don't know how? Then you've stopped at the right place, TipsMake has suggestions for you to follow.
When creating an Excel document, sometimes the input data is not continuous but has spaced lines. So how to number in Excel when spacing lines ? This is a difficult problem that many people are looking for. It's okay, TipsMake will take care of anything difficult . I have researched and revealed the detailed solution in the next section, see now!
Instructions on how to number sequentially in Excel when spacing lines from A to Z
For Excel, sequential numbering is simple. But sometimes you need to space lines, merge cells, delete lines. and the order numbers are also inaccurate. This is the reason why many people search for how to number sequentially in Excel when row spacing is of great concern. Here are the steps you take.
1/ Share the latest way to number sequentially in Excel
To number lines in Excel is not difficult, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Step 1 : First, you need to select the column that needs to be numbered > Then, press the key combination Ctrl + G > When the window displays, press the Special button .
- Step 2 : In the next window, the user ticks Blanks > OK to close.
- B3 : Proceed to enter the formula =N(A2) + 1 (A2 is the cell above the cell where you start entering the serial number, you can adjust it depending on your Excel file)
- Step 4 : Finally, press Ctrl + Enter to complete this process.
2/ Share how to number sequentially in Excel when deleting lines
After you insert or delete a line, is the sequence number incorrect? You can use the function as shared by admin to number the order after inserting or deleting rows.
- Step 1 : Enter the formula =ROW()-1 in cell A2 > Drag to select the data area you want to number (as shown). In case the number starts from the first cell, the formula will be =ROW() (You need +/- to fit your document)
- Step 2 : Next, the user creates a table for the numbered data range by > Clicking the Insert tab > Table > When the window displays, tick My table has headers > Click OK to close the window.
- Step 3 : Now, when you insert or delete a table within the table range, it will automatically be numbered in the correct order without you needing to do it manually.
3/ Share how to number sequentially in Excel when merging cells
- Step 1 : The user clicks to select any data cell in the Excel file that is not merged > Continue pressing Ctrl + down arrow and you will reach the end of that column.
- Step 2 : Continue, in this interface, move to the position of the last cell of the merged cell that needs to be numbered > Then, press the key combination Ctrl + Shift + 'Up Arrow' > Next , the user presses Shift + 'Down Arrow' > Finally press Enter and you will move to the top cell.
- Step 3 : Use the =Counta function (Select the data cell next to it: Fix the last value) > Press the key combination Ctrl + Enter to complete this process.
Above are ways to number sequentially in Excel when spacing specific lines for those who need it. TipsMake wishes you success!
- Excel with hidden lines - How to hide lines and display hidden lines in Excel
- Spacing lines in Excel
- MS Excel 2003 - Lesson 1: Get familiar with Microsoft Excel
- 4 basic steps to color alternating lines in Microsoft Excel
- Insert line shortcut in Excel - Shortcut insert Excel
- Instructions for adding alternate blank lines on Microsoft Excel
- Instructions on how to create diagonal lines in Excel box
- MS Excel - Lesson 4: Working with lines, columns, sheets
- How to indent the line in Excel
- How to fix columns and headlines in Excel