How to insert code block in Google Docs
Whether a code is considered good or bad depends on its format. Word processors tend to mess up your formatting when you're trying to add code to a document.
That's where code blocks can help. These are blocks in the document dedicated to code, allowing you to display your code as intended. They can even automatically apply correct formatting and highlighting to your code. Below is how to insert code blocks in Google Docs.
How to insert code blocks in Google Workspace
If you're running certain versions of Google Workspace, you can insert code blocks right in Google Docs. This feature is only available in the Business Standard, Business Plus, Education Standard, Education Plus, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus editions of Google Workspace. If you're running a different version, you won't be able to use this feature.
1. Open the Google Doc where you want to insert your code.
2. Click the Insert menu .
3. Hover over the Building Blocks section .
4. If you're running a supported version of Google Workspace, you'll see the Code Block option .
6. Enter your code directly into the block. The code will be formatted and highlighted according to the language you selected.
How to insert code blocks in Google Docs using extensions
If you're not using one of the supported versions of Google Workspace, you can still insert code blocks into Google Docs. However, to do so, you will need to install a third-party add-on. There are many options available; This example will use the free Code Blocks extension.
1. Open the document where you want to insert your code.
2. Click the Extensions menu .
3. Hover over Add-ons and select Get Add-ons .
4. Enter Code Blocks in the search field.
5. Select Code Blocks from the results.
6. Click Install and grant relevant permissions.
7. After installing the add-on, click the Extensions menu .
8. Hover over Code Blocks and click Start .
9. The Code Blocks tool will appear in the sidebar.
10. Enter your code into the document and select all.
11. In the sidebar, select Language or leave it on Auto .
12. Choose a Theme for your code block.
13. You can preview your selections by clicking the Preview button .
14. When you are satisfied with your selection, click the Format button .
15. The code in your document will be formatted into a code block.
16. You can add multiple code blocks and use different languages and themes for each block.
17. You can add more text to each code block, but to apply the correct formatting, you will need to select them all and click the Format button again .
18. Any text you add outside of the code block will retain the current text settings for standard text.
- How to insert watermark in Google Docs
- How to insert characters on Google Docs
- How to insert Google Sheets charts into Google Docs
- How to insert musical note notation in Google Docs
- How to insert Google Sheets spreadsheets into Google Docs
- Google Docs 'kicks' users out of the text, should also take a little care
- How to insert Text Box in Google Docs
- How to insert Google Drawing into Google Docs