How to set a computer password on Windows 10,8,7
If you don't know how to set a computer password, you can immediately refer to this TipsMake article. With detailed steps to help you set a secure computer password
You need to set a password for your computer to ensure information security and privacy. Below TipsMake will introduce some simple and quick ways to set Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 computer passwords for your reference.
How to set a Windows 10 computer password
Computers running the Windows 10 operating system can set a password in the following two ways:
Method 1: Set a computer password with the Start Menu
Step 1 : From the Start menu (Windows window icon in the lower left corner of the screen), click on your account icon, click Change account settings .
Step 2 : In the new window that appears, select Sign-in options in the left menu, select Password , then click Add .
Step 3 : Enter a new Password , confirm the password and enter a password hint, then click Next .
Step 4 : Click the Finish button to complete the settings. So you have completed the step of setting a computer password.
Method 2: Set a computer password using Control Panel
Step 1 : Go to Control Panel (on the desktop or search for the keyword ' Control Panel ' in the search box on the Taskbar), click User Accounts .
Step 2 : When a new window appears, click Manage another account , then click on the account you want to set/change the login password for.
Step 3 : Select Create a password , then enter a new password, confirm the password and suggest a password, then press the Create password button and you're done.
How to set a Windows 8/8.1 computer password
For Windows 8 or 8.1, the way to set a computer password will be a little different. Specifically the steps are as follows:
Step 1 : Find and open the Windows Settings section.
Step 2 : Select Change PC Settings .
Step 3 : In the new window that appears, click to open the Users section in the left menu column, then select Create a password .
Step 4 : The only thing left is to enter a new password, confirm the password and enter a password hint and you're done. Then click Next and click Finish to complete.
How to set a password for Windows 7 computer
If you use the Windows 7 operating system, TipsMake would like to share the following quick and easy way to set a Windows 7 laptop and computer password:
Step 1 : On the Start menu (Windows window icon in the lower left corner of the desktop), click Control Panel .
Step 2 : Click on User Accounts and Family Safety .
Step 3 : In the new window, select Create a password for your account to create a password for your computer.
Step 4 : Then you enter a new password, confirm the password and suggest a password in the blank box below. Then click Create password .
Suggestions for setting a secure password
Password is a set of characters combined together and customized according to the installer's wishes. However, passwords that are not highly secure will be easy for others to guess.
To increase the security of your password, you can refer to the following tips:
- Set longer, more unique passwords.
- The password should not be your date of birth or name (if you do, it can include special characters to create novelty).
- When changing the PIN or password for your computer, you should click on Include letters and symbols so that the computer will allow you to set a password with a wider variety of characters (special characters, letters, numbers).
Frequently asked questions about Windows computer passwords
With many years of experience in the profession, TipsMake also receives many questions from readers about computer passwords as follows:
Besides setting a password, is there any other way to secure your computer?
Today technology is more modern, in addition to setting a Windows 10 computer password, you can prevent others from accessing your computer with 6 security ways such as:
- Use the face scanning feature (Windows Hello Face).
- Unlock with fingerprint (Windows Hello Fingerprint).
- Use a PIN to unlock (Windows Hello PIN).
- Unlock by selecting your favorite image and opening with mouse cursor gesture (Picture Password).
- If you do not want to set a password to open your computer, you can set passwords for important file folders inside your computer.
- Use the USB containing the key code (Security Key) to unlock.
How to retrieve password when forgotten?
Forgetting a password is a common thing that anyone can encounter. To retrieve your password, you can do the following:
Step 1 : Click on the words I forgot my password /Forgot password.
Step 2 : In the new window that appears, you need to enter the correct Microsoft account , then click Next .
Step 3: Click the Getcode button . Check your email to receive the code and then enter the code in the empty box on the screen.
Step 4 : Enter your new password and click Next , there will be a notification of successfully changing your computer password. Click Sign in to unlock with the new password.
Current password is to enter a Windows or Microsoft password?
When you use a Microsoft account to log in to your computer, the Current password section is the Microsoft account password. And then if you change your computer password, it also means changing your Microsoft account password.
Above is a summary of how to set a computer password for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. You can read more great computer tips from TipsMake on our website.
- Steps to set Windows 11 computer password to better protect your information
- Instructions for changing Windows passwords without having to remember the old password
- How to set a password for a Windows 8 / 8.1 computer
- Install image password in Windows 8
- How to crack Windows 10 password, how to break password on Windows 10
- Steps to reset forgotten password on Windows 10
- Turn off Windows 10 password when logging in for only 10 seconds
- How to set a Windows 11 computer password
- Change the forgotten password on Windows 8
- How to Change Your Password in Windows 8