How to Use OneDrive as Your Default Save Location on Windows 8.1
OneDrive is a free cloud-based file storage solution built into Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. It enables you to store, browse, upload, save, and share files from multiple devices using just one platform. Once you've saved a file to...
Part 1 of 2:
Moving Entire Folders from This PC to OneDrive
- Access your File Explorer. Just open "File Explorer," and right-click on your folders in "This PC."
- For your reference, 'This PC' used to be known as 'My Computer' in previous versions of Windows. The folders generally containing essential files are Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos.
- Go to "Properties." Choose the Properties option in the drop-down menu of each of the folders you want to migrate to OneDrive.
- Pick folder locations. In the "Properties" window, select the "Location" tab, click on "Move," and then pick a location for a particular folder in your OneDrive account. You might need to add new folders in OneDrive for transferred folders.
- Repeat the process for every folder. You will need to replicate the process for every folder you want to move.
- Repeat the process for every PC you have. If you have other PCs that run on Windows 8.1, then you will need to do the same process on each of those computers.
- Don't worry, it's much faster than it sounds, and the reward of ease will be worth it. Once done, the folders in "This PC" will be synchronized among all your different PCs and your OneDrive storage.
Part 2 of 2:
Editing the Default Save Location for Programs
- Select the program you want moved. Several programs may have their own choice of a default location for saving files. Start by clicking on the specific programs that you want to move if they are not saving yet to OneDrive by default.
- Edit the default save location for each program. Once you've clicked on a specific program, open the "File" options, and look for the "Default Save Location" option.
- Switch it to OneDrive. Once you've chosen OneDrive, it becomes your chosen programs' default save location.
- Sync Desktop, Document, ... on Windows 10 with OneDrive
- OneDrive will be integrated by default in Windows 10
- How to troubleshoot OneDrive after resetting on Windows 10
- How to turn on, turn off Location Sensing on Windows 7 and Windows 8
- How to delay starting OneDrive on Windows 10/8/7
- Fix the loss of the OneDrive icon on the taskbar in Windows 10
- OneDrive launches file protection for Windows 10 users
- Steps to disable or completely remove the Onedrive application on Windows 10