How to fix 'This Device is Disabled (Code 22)' error on Windows 11
Luckily, fixing error code 22 on Windows is easy. Let's see how to quickly fix this error on Windows!
1. Activate the device in Device Manager
One of the simplest ways to fix error code 22 is to manually activate the device generating the error. To do that, open Device Manager, right-click on the problematic device and select Properties . Then, click the Enable Device button .
Device Manager will refresh and the device will be back online. Check if you still get the error message. If so, try the next solution on the list.
2. Check for physical damage on the device
The error message can also result from physical damage to your device. To confirm this, look for cracks, dents, or other signs of damage on the device. If you are using a connector, make sure it is not bent.
You should also look for signs of liquid damage, such as corrosion or discoloration, on your device. If you find any physical damage, it is most likely the culprit behind the error message. In this case, the best thing you can do is replace the device.
3. Update device driver
If your device driver is outdated or corrupted, you are more likely to have a hardware device problem such as error code 22. The solution in this case is to update your device driver. .
To do this, open the Settings app. On the left side of the window, select Windows Update. Then, click the Check for updates button .
Your computer will now check Microsoft's servers for updates to the current operating system, including its drivers. If any updates are found, they will be downloaded and installed automatically. Otherwise you'll see a message saying You're up to date .
4. Using Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
Windows comes with a number of troubleshooters that can help you fix a variety of problems. One of them is Hardware and Device Troubleshooter which, as the name suggests, helps to fix hardware problems.
While it's not guaranteed to fix the problem, it's still worth running this tool when you run into any hardware-related issues. To run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter, press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, type the following command and press Enter :
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
Then select the Apply repairs automatically option and click Next to go through the steps.
Once the wizard is complete, the troubleshooter will tell you any problems detected and how to fix them.
5. Clear computer CMOS
Another way to fix the "This Device is Disabled (Code 22)" error is to clear the CMOS. Doing this will help if a recent change in your BIOS settings is causing the problem. You can clear the CMOS by following the instructions below:
- Remove all external devices attached to your PC.
- Turn off the computer and unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Open the back of the computer.
- Remove the CMOS battery, wait a few minutes, and then reinsert the battery. You may need to refer to your PC motherboard manual to locate the CMOS battery.
Then, cover the computer and plug in all the devices.
6. Update computer BIOS
Outdated BIOS can prevent your PC from working properly with certain devices and can cause errors like code 22.
So make sure to update the BIOS to prevent any hardware related issues on your system.
7. Perform a clean boot
The next solution on the list is to perform a clean boot on Windows. This will help you rule out third-party applications that may be causing the error.
After performing a clean boot, your computer will boot in a clean state. To check if the error message still appears, try using the device that is causing the problem. If it doesn't show up, it's time to narrow down the suspect.
To do that, start re-enabling the services you disabled to perform a clean boot until the error returns. When you find a problematic service, consider uninstalling or downloading an update of that service.
8. Perform a system restore
If you still get the error, you can try a system restore on Windows to see if that fixes your problem. This will restore your computer to an earlier point in time, which is useful if the problem is recent.
- Instructions for fixing device Usb error not recognized Code 43
- How to fix error code 43 for NVIDIA or Intel GPUs on Windows
- How to fix Code 10 errors that prevent the device from booting
- Summary of driver error codes on Windows and how to fix (Last part)
- What is 'Code 10' error in Windows? And how to fix it?
- Instructions to fix Task Manager has been Disabled by your Administrator
- How to fix error code 0x0 0x0 in Windows 11
- 5 ways to fix Code 80073cfe error code on Windows Phone
- How to fix Windows Has Stopped This Device Code 43 error on Windows 10
- How to fix a disabled iPhone password error