How to Disable iMessage
This wikiHow teaches you how to disable the ability of your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to send and receive iMessages. Open your iPhone's Settings. It's an app with gray cogs you may find in a folder labeled 'Utilities.'
Method 1 of 2:
On an iPhone or iPad
- Open your iPhone's Settings. It's an app with gray cogs you may find in a folder labeled 'Utilities.'
- Scroll down and tap . It's in the fifth set of options.
- Slide the iMessage button to the 'off' position. It will turn white, and iMessage will be disabled.
- You will still receive messages from friends using iMessage, but they will come to you as SMS.
- Turning iMessage off is ideal for saving cellular data and if you don't have good internet connection. It's also necessary to do before you switch to another smartphone with the same number, or you won't receive your texts.
- Your iPad won't have messaging capability without iMessage enabled.
Method 2 of 2:
On a Mac
- Press ⌘ Command+Space to open Spotlight.
- iMessage is only available on OS X Mountain Lion or higher.
- Type "Messages."
- Press ↵ Enter
- Click in the menu bar. It's at the top-left corner of the page.
- Click in the drop down menu. This will open the Preferences window.
- Click .
- It may send you to the Accounts menu by default, and you won't need to click it.
- Click the box next to "Enable this account." The box should now be empty.
- Click . You will no longer be able to send or receive iMessages on your Mac.
- If you want to sign out of iMessage altogether, click next to your Apple ID, and then click again. This will take all iMessage information, such as contacts and conversations, off of your Mac.
- If you're still receiving SMS messages on your Mac and want to disable it, you'll need to disable Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone. This is in your Messages settings.
- Completely turn off iMessage on Apple devices
- These are fascinating changes on iMessage iOS 11
- 12 interesting things you can do with the iMessage app on iPhone, iPad
- Common iMessage errors and how to fix it
- How to fix errors waiting to activate iMessage on iPhone
- How to delete iMessage application on iOS 10?
- How to fix the error cannot be used on iMessage iOS 10
- Instructions for sharing location in iMessage via Apple Maps