Windows Media Player cannot open MP4 files, what should you do?
Even though MP4 is the most popular video format, it still can't be opened on your computer? It's possible that the file is corrupted or simply missing a Codec. In this article, TipsMake will help you learn how to quickly handle the problem of Windows Media Player not being able to open MP4 files .
Come to detailed instructions on the causes and how to fix the error of not being able to open MP4 files.
Reason why Windows Media Player cannot open MP4 files
The error of not being able to open mp4 files on the computer is caused by many different reasons.
Windows Media Player requires the appropriate Codec to play back certain file formats. If the codec for Mp4 format is missing, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.
(*) Codec or Coder decoder means encoder - decoder.
Your Windows Media Player version is out of date:
Older versions of Windows Media Player may not support MP4 format playback. Or there may be problems playing back new MP4 files.
Corrupt MP4 file set:
The situation of file corruption that prevents mp4 files from being opened on computers is quite common. Incorrect formatting causes Windows Media Player to have difficulty playing back.
Fix error of not being able to open MP4 files in Windows 10
When you encounter a situation where Windows Media Player cannot open MP4 files, you can try a number of methods to fix the problem. Some of the following ways may help you. (Instructions on Windows 10).
Method 1: Updating Windows Media Player cannot open MP4 files
Updating is the best way to fix Windows Media Player errors. The latest versions often add repair commands to help you open MP4 files easily.
Update tips to remember:
- Update from the official Windows website.
- Always leave incognito mode
- Always prioritize updated codec versions.
- Check out the additional features on the Updates version.
Steps to update Windows Media Player on Windows 10.
Go to Windows Media Player on Windows 10, hover over the menu bar. Right click and select Help / Check for updates…
The latest updated versions, if available, will be located here. You can download the latest version of Windows Media Player.
Method 2: Use an alternative player
Alternative media players like VLC Media Player, 5KPlayer or Media Player Classic to open MP4 files.
This is a popular, simple and easy to do method. If you have enough free memory, this method is preferred because it is easy to do to fix the error of Windows Media Player not being able to open MP4 files.
However, this is a way to support and not actually fix errors on Windows Media Player.
Method 3: Reinstall the codec
If your MP4 file cannot be played on Windows Media Player but can be played on other players such as KM, VLC,. then the cause of the error is due to the lack of a Codec.
Please download the appropriate Codec for your Windows. K-Lite Codec Pack is a popular codec pack that many people have tried successfully. You can set it to support playback of various audio and video file formats.
Example instructions on Windows 10:
- Download the codec pack on the official K-Lite Codec Pack page.
- Once downloaded, open the file and double click to start the installation.
- Tap default or advanced options as desired.
- Always restart your computer after completing the installation to apply the program.
Method 4: Check for damaged files and fix them
Open the MP4 file on another device to see if it works. If it doesn't work, you need to use some ways to save the damaged video file.
Example with VLC media Player software:
- Open VLC and click the Media tab > Convert/save…
- ' ADD ' the corrupted file and click Convert/save
- Find Profile, click the down arrow and select: Video-MPEG-.
- Continue in the Convert panel and edit the Destination section.
- Click ' Start ' and you're done.
Or you can use Video Repair Tool software (fee). The Demo version fixes 50%, you can duplicate it to fix the whole thing.
In method 4, the cause of the file corruption error can be due to many cases. Sometimes when it cannot be fixed, you can ask a restoration specialist.
So, we have helped you know how to handle the problem of Windows Media Player not being able to open MP4 files. Wishing you success in overcoming and using your video file.
- How to Reinstall Windows Media Player
- Summary of shortcuts in Windows Media Player
- VLC Media Player 3.0.11
- How to Open an MP4 File on PC or Mac
- How to Open WMV Files on a Mac
- How to download and install Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 10
- How to Connect a Device to Windows Media Player
- How to Change the Skin in VLC Media Player