How to Disable McAfee
This wikiHow teaches you how to temporarily turn off McAfee Security Center on your Windows or Mac computer. Disabling McAfee will not remove it from your computer. Keep in mind that, if McAfee is your only antivirus software, turning it...
Method 1 of 2:
- Open Start
- Type mcafee into Start. Doing so searches your computer for the McAfee program.
- Click . This should be at the top of the Start window, with the subheading "Desktop app" below its name. Doing so opens McAfee.
- Click the tab. It's in the upper-left corner of the McAfee window.
- Click . This tab is on the left side of the McAfee window.
- Click . It's in the upper-right side of the Real-Time Scanning page.
- Select a time limit, then click . You can set a time for real-time scanning to reactivate in the "When do you want to resume Real-Time Scanning?" box. The default is 15 minutes.
- If you want to disable McAfee until you manually turn it back on, select Never for the time limit.
- You can exit this window after turning off Real-Time Scanning.
- Click the tab. This option is below the Real-Time Scanning tab on the left side of the window.
- Click . It's in the upper-right side of the page.
- If your Firewall page is blank, your McAfee Firewall is already off; you can skip the next two steps.
- Select a time limit, then click . Doing so will disable the McAfee Firewall until the time limit expires.
- Exit the Firewall window. Click X in the top-right corner of the Firewall window.
- Click . This option is below Firewall on the left side of the page.
- Click . It's in the top-right corner of the Automatic Updates page.
- Exit the Automatic Updates page, then click . The Scheduled scans option is just below Automatic updates.
- Click . It's in the top-right corner. All of McAfee's services are now disabled.
- Remove McAfee from your PC. If all else fails, you can disable McAfee's presence on your computer by uninstalling it completely.
Method 2 of 2:
- Click the McAfee icon. It's the white "M" on the red shield icon in the top-right side of your Mac's menu bar.
- If you don't see this icon, click the magnifying glass icon in the top-right corner, type in "McAfee", and click the Internet Security option.
- Click . This is near the bottom of the McAfee drop-down menu.
- Click the tab. It's in the upper-left side of the window.
- Click the gear icon. You'll find this in the top-right corner of the Home tab.
- Click . It's near the top of the gear drop-down menu. Doing so opens a window for Real-Time Scanning.
- Disable Real-Time Scanning. To do so:
- Click the lock icon.
- Enter your administrator password and click OK.
- Click the Real-Time Scanning switch in the top-right corner.
- Close the Real-Time Scanning window.
- Click the gear icon again, then click . The Firewall tab is just below the Real-Time Scanning option.
- Disable McAfee's Firewall. You'll do this in the same way in which you disabled Real-Time Scanning.
- Click the gear icon again, then click . It's below the Firewall option.
- Disable automatic updates. You'll do this in the same way in which you disabled Real-Time Scanning and the Firewall.
- Click the gear icon again, then click . It's at the bottom of the "Mac Security" group of options.
- Unlock the Full and Custom Scan Settings page. Click the gear icon and enter your administrator password, then click OK.
- Click the drop-down box. It's on the far-left side of the "Scheduled scans" page.
- If you don't see this option, click the Scheduled scans tab near the top of the page.
- Click . Doing so prevents McAfee from re-activating itself to scan your computer.
- Click the gear icon again, then click . It's near the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- SiteAdvisor is responsible for McAfee's presence in your Mac's browsers.
- Disable SiteAdvisor. Click the switch in the top-right corner of the SiteAdvisor page to do so.
- You may have to click the lock icon and enter your administrator password in order to be able to click the switch.
- Close the settings window. Your Mac's McAfee program should now be completely disabled.
- Remove McAfee from your Mac. If you want to completely remove McAfee's notifications, icons, and all other forms of its presence from your Mac, you'll have to uninstall McAfee itself. To do so:
- Click the Applications folder on the left side of Finder, or click Go and then click Applications in the drop-down menu.
- Find and double-click the McAfee® Total Protection Uninstaller app.
- Click Continue when prompted.
- Enter your administrator password when prompted, then click OK.
- Click Finish once McAfee finishes uninstalling.
- How to uninstall McAfee
- McAfee officially has a new name
- McAfee works 'too actively'
- New Trojan forged McAfee
- Register for free using McAfee VirusScan Plus 2010 for 1 year
- McAfee warns: Malware is everywhere in 2019
- Free 6-month subscription to McAfee Internet Security 2019 license
- How to Uninstall McAfee Internet Security
- Ensure safety when surfing with McAfee SiteAdvisor
- Free 6-month license for McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2018 antivirus software, priced at $ 55