Windows Media Player has sound but no picture and how to quickly fix it
Windows Media Player has sound but no picture, making you frustrated because you don't know how to solve it? TipsMake provides complete information to help you fix this error, follow it immediately!
Windows Media Player is abbreviated as WMP and this is a free multimedia player from Microsoft that is very popular with users today. With WMP, users can watch movies, videos, and listen to music on the computer easily with many attractive features.
However, in the process of using WMP, users sometimes have to face some problems. Among them, Windows Media Player having sound but no picture is also a very common error that users often encounter. So that you don't have to worry about this, TipsMake will immediately show you how to fix it in today's computer tips section.
Instructions on how to fix the error of Windows Media Player having sound but no image in just one note
The error Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file, only sound has many causes. It could be due to a corrupt video file, a problem with the graphics card, or the lack of a suitable video codec. Here's what you need to do to fix this situation.
1/ Activate the Now Playing or Editing video file window
Don't rush to blame the software or computer, maybe Windows Media Player doesn't have a picture and only has sound because you turned off the playing window. Therefore, users just need to look at the lower right corner of the screen. If you see the icon as shown in the illustration, click on it to switch to the currently playing window.
We cannot rule out the possibility that the video file is corrupted and cannot be played correctly with WMP. Therefore, you should check your video file to see if there are any problems. Or use video repair software to fix these files if the problem is with the video file.
2/ Check the device's graphics card
Reviewing the graphics card is also an indispensable measure you should apply. Because it is possible that the graphics card driver is missing, outdated or damaged, causing the problem of not being able to play video but only sound. Therefore, you should apply solutions such as:
- Update graphics card drivers
- If the graphics card driver has been recently updated, you should check and update it manually to show overall performance.
3/ Convert video format
Unsupported video formats are also one of the reasons why Windows Media Player cannot view videos. So, try converting the video format to the appropriate format to fix this situation. For example, HEVC is one of the codecs that is not supported by Windows. You can use software like WonderFox Free HD Video Converter Factory or MiniTool Video Converter to convert video formats.
4/ Update Windows Media Player
This is also a way for you to fix codec problems (the main cause of the problem of Windows Media Player having no picture, only sound). Because Windows Media Player is a built-in tool in Windows. Therefore, to update this tool you just need to check and update Windows (if available). Additionally, you can also access Windows Media Player > Click Help > Click Check for Update to check and update.
5/ Reinstall Windows Media Player
Finally, if all of the above measures do not help you overcome the situation of having sound but no sound. Users should perform a reinstall Reinstall Windows Media Player.
- Step 1 : Click on the search icon on the taskbar > Type in features > Turn on ' Turn Windows features on or off '.
- Step 2 : Scroll down to the Media Features section and click the + sign to expand it.
- Step 3 : Uncheck the Windows Media Player line > Click OK > When the window pops up, click Yes > Wait for the uninstallation process to finish and then click Close to close.
- Step 4 : Restart your computer.
- Step 5 : Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 > Highlight 'Windows Media Player' again > Click OK.
TipsMake has revealed the solutions when Windows Media Player has sound but no picture. Wishing you success in fixing the error!
- Summary of shortcuts in Windows Media Player
- Set up VLC Media Player as the default multimedia player on Windows 10
- How to Reinstall Windows Media Player
- Advanced tricks use VLC Media Player
- How to fix 3 problems with VLC Media Player
- Microsoft launches new Media Player application for Windows 11
- VLC Media Player 3.0.11
- How to take photos when watching videos on Windows Media Player