Instructions for handling when the laptop keyboard key is broken
Keyboard is the main device that helps users communicate and control computer systems, creating letters, numbers, characters and some other functions. The keyboard is a very useful device on computers and laptops. But if unfortunately the keyboard is broken, what will you do? In the article below, Network Administrator will guide you how to handle when the laptop keyboard key is broken or stuck.
1. Fix keycap is loose
Unlike computers, each key on a laptop keyboard consists of three parts: keycap, key pad and key retainer as shown below:
- Keycap is the key on the keyboard, made from the injection of thermoplastic resin.
- Keypad is an "input device" containing buttons that allow users to enter numbers, letters or symbols into the controller. The keypad does not contain all ASCII encodings such as keyboards and so keypads are often found in specialized devices. Push buttons on handheld electronic computers are an example of a keypad.
If the keycap is loose and is still attached to the laptop, you can mount it by pressing the keycap down. If the keycap is reattached, you will hear a click during the keypress down.
If you still can't fix the error, you can remove the key then re-attach the key. The process of re-attaching the key is as follows:
- Fix broken keycap:
Note : If a key, keycap, key pad or key retainer is broken, you should replace it.
If you don't know how to re-attach the key to the laptop keyboard, follow the steps below:
1. First insert the retainer key into the laptop keyboard. If there is a key pad as shown above, you should attach it after attaching the retainer key. After the retainer is attached, make sure the retainer does not bend.
2. Attach the key pad to the retainer.
3. After completing the two steps above, place the position of the keycap in the right direction with the retainer and press down slightly. The key part should be attached to the retainer.
If the key is not attached correctly, try pressing all the corners of the key to ensure that all clips are attached to the position. After installation is complete, try checking whether the key is working or not.
- Edit Spacebar:
Unlike other keys on the keyboard, the spacebar requires more steps to work properly.
In the image below is how to remove the spacebar from the laptop keyboard. Before attaching the spacebar keycap back to the laptop keyboard, a bar must be removed by inserting a screwdriver into the bottom and gently pulling it upwards.
After the bar is removed, place the new spacebar in the laptop, and remember to put the key in the correct position and push down to attach the key back into place.
2. The key still does not work after repair or replacement
If the key still does not work after resetting or replacing the keycap, key pad, and retainer key.
Most likely, the keyboard boards are not working properly. In case if the error is caused by the circuit board, you need to replace the entire keyboard, including circuit boards to fix the faulty keys.
Refer to some of the following articles:
- To improve typing speed, visit these 5 websites
- Use Notepad to make the keyboard automatically type any text repeatedly
- How to use Fn key on Laptop keyboard
- Instructions for using a replacement keyboard for a broken mouse
- 'Emergency' tips for laptops are badly damaged
- How to fix laptop keyboard error does not type any keys
- Instructions for cleaning the keyboard yourself, cleaning Laptop keyboard
- 5 causes of fast laptop failure so users should know to avoid
- Is the laptop broken, should it be repaired or purchased?
- How to lock the laptop keyboard to use the removable USB keyboard
- How to turn off the Laptop keyboard to use an external keyboard