Why is the computer's numeric keypad locked? How to fix it?
The computer's numeric keypad is locked, making it impossible for you to type numbers, so your work, study and entertainment are also affected? TipsMake has revealed the cause as well as a detailed fix for this situation. Follow us now!
While working with a computer, there are many times when you need to use the numeric keypad to serve your work. But there are many cases where the computer's numeric keypad is locked , making your needs unmet. For this condition, there are many causes as well as solutions. TipsMake has shared details below to help you fix the error in one fell swoop.
Suggestions on how to fix a computer with the numeric keypad locked effectively
Because of their compact size, many laptops do not have a dedicated numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard like desktop computers. Therefore, the keys of the numeric keypad are shared with a key block in the center of the keyboard. When users want to use it, they need to activate the numeric keypad. However, many users have encountered the error of not being able to type on the numeric keypad.
Similar to laptops, the error of not being able to type numbers on a desktop keyboard is also quite common. Here is the solution that you can apply to fix the error.
Unlock desktop/laptop keyboard
If the computer's numeric keypad is locked, the first reason you should think of is because the user has not enabled the numeric keypad on the device. To activate the numeric keypad, users need to find the NumLock key - This is the key used to convert part of the main keyboard into a group of numeric keys.
Depending on each different model, the NumLock key may be fully displayed and a separate key. Or some lines can be written as NumLk, num lk, NmLk, etc. Besides, in some laptop lines, the NumLock key will be integrated with other keys. Therefore, to turn on/off the numeric keypad, users need to press the NumLock key or the key combination Fn + NumLock , or Fn + Key with integrated NumLock depending on the device model they are using.
To unlock the numeric keypad on a desktop computer, users can press the NUM LOCK or SCROLL LOCK key to turn on/off the function.
Disable mouse keys
Computer keyboard can't type numbers even though you have Numlock enabled? Most likely it is because the Enable Mouse Keys option is enabled in Control Panel. Therefore, users need to turn off this feature to be able to use the numeric keypad.
- Step 1 : Press the Windows + R key combination to open the Run dialog box > Enter the Control Panel keyword in the Open box > Press Enter or click OK to unlock.
- Step 2 : In the Control Panel window, click on Ease of Access .
- Step 3 : Click on ' Change how your keyboard works '.
- Step 4 : Uncheck the line ' Turn ON Mouse Keys ' > Click OK .
Update keyboard driver to fix errors
In cases where the laptop keyboard cannot type numbers, the keyboard driver is outdated or has problems, which is also the leading cause. Therefore, to fix the problem of the keyboard not being able to type numbers in Windows 10, updating the keyboard driver is the solution you should apply.
- Step 1 : The user right-clicks the Start button > When the options are displayed, click Device Manager .
- Step 2 : In the new window displayed, double-click to expand Keyboard > When the sub-items appear, right-click on your keyboard > Select Update Driver .
Run the Windows Keyboard Troubleshooter
If you have followed the above solutions but still cannot type the number key, try using the troubleshooter to check. You press the Windows + I key combination to open settings > Select Updates and Security > Then select Troubleshoot in the list on the left.
Continue clicking on Keyboard > Select Run the troubleshooter > Wait for this process to complete.
Check the keyboard you are using
In addition to software causes, the computer's inability to type number keys can also be caused by hardware. If the keyboard has ever been impacted, liquid spilled on the keyboard, etc. It is possible that the keyboard is broken, paralyzed, etc., so it cannot be typed. You should try another keyboard to see if this is the cause.
Some other solutions for you if you don't have a numeric keypad are to buy a separate numeric keypad, use a virtual keyboard.
TipsMake has revealed how to fix the problem when the computer is locked to the numeric keypad. Hope you solve this problem successfully!
- Do you really need a numeric keypad on your keyboard?
- How to enable the numeric keypad as a mouse on Windows 11
- How to add number keys to the Windows 10 keyboard
- How to Enter Special Symbols on Laptop
- Turn photoshop tools into a unique and handy physical keyboard
- The cause of Viettel sim is locked and unlocked
- How to Open a Digital Safe Without a Key
- Why are phone and computer number keys different?
- How to Type a Heart Symbol in Windows
- How to convert numeric dates to text on Google Sheets