How to use winget - New Package Manager for Windows 10
Microsoft's new Windows Package Manager, makes it easy to install applications by running a command. Here's how to try out the new command
wingetand why this Linux package manager is so interesting for the future of Windows 10.
What is Windows Package Manager?
The package manager is very popular on Linux. Instead of searching for an application on the web, downloading the installer, and clicking through the wizard, you can simply run a quick command to search and install an application by its name.
For example, to install Microsoft PowerToys, you can open a Terminal window and run the command:
winget install powertoys
The command will automatically find, download and install the software without any additional input from you. Very easy!
Microsoft is hosting its own software repository, and other organizations and individuals can do the same. This is an important feature that helps improve productivity on Linux, especially for developers and system administrators.
Right now, this tool is for developers only, but one day, Microsoft or third-party developers can create an easy-to-use graphical tool that quickly finds and installs. place the application. It may be similar to the Windows Store, but with access to all the Windows desktop applications that people actually use. In other words, it is like Chocolatey, but integrated into Windows.
How to install Windows Package Manager
Beginning May 19, 2020, Windows Package Manager is available as a preview. Someday it will be integrated directly into future updates for Windows 10.
Until then, there are a few ways you can get this package manager:
- Install the Windows 10 Insider build, register the Windows Package Manager Insiders Program, and install the update for the App Installer package from the Microsoft Store. You will receive automatic updates for Windows Package Manager when they are released, but you must run the unstable version of Windows 10.
- Download the .appxbundle file of Windows Package Manager from GitHub. Install it by double clicking on the file and clicking on Update. You can install future updates manually from the same download page, but you won't have to run an unstable version of Windows 10.
In the future, these will not be necessary and the winget will be integrated right into all stable versions of Windows 10. Since May 2020, it has appeared in preview form, while Microsoft tested it. and fix errors.
How to use winget - the new Windows package manager
You can run it
wingetfrom Windows PowerShell or the classic Command Prompt environment. The article recommends installing a new Windows Terminal if it is not already available.
From a command line, run the command
wingetto see more information on how to use the tool.
To search for an application, run the following command, replacing 'name' with the search term:
Search for an application
winget search name
To install an application, run the following command, replacing 'name' with the application's name:
Install an application
winget install name
To see more information about an application, run the following command, replacing 'name' with the application name or search term:
See more information about an application
winget show name
To see the full list of available applications, run the following command:
In the first version, the winget repository was integrated with many popular desktop applications. You'll find everything from popular Windows apps to developer tools. This list includes Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Zoom, Steam, VLC Media Player, Spotify, Windows Terminal, Visual Studio Code, Ruby, Microsoft PowerToys, etc.You'll find everything from popular Windows apps to developer tools
To manage the source, run:
You will see a list of commands. For example, to view current sources, run:
winget source list
In the original version of winget, there was only one integrated winget source operated by Microsoft, located at:
In the future, you will be able to add third party sources with the command:
In the future, you can add third party sources
winget source add
You can see more information on using one of winget's integrated commands by adding -? For example, to see the various options you can use with the winget, run the following command:
winget search -?
Microsoft is sure to add additional features to the Windows Package Manager in the future and this tool will become more and more powerful.
- Winstall.app - web-based GUI for Windows Package Manager only
- How to install multiple applications using winget and winstall on Windows 10
- Decode how the package manager works and software installation on Linux
- 9 most popular Linux package managers today
- All problems about using Task Manager
- How to Install or Remove an RPM Package
- You will get 2 more years of updates on Windows 7 if you buy a new update package of this operating system version
- Instructions to fix Task Manager has been Disabled by your Administrator
- How to fix the 'Problem With This Windows Installer Package' error
- How to fix broken packages in Ubuntu