How to upgrade to Fedora 32
If you are upgrading to Fedora 32, there are several ways to do so. In this article, readers will learn how to upgrade with the graphics tools available through Gnome Software and the command line with DNF plugin, dnf-plugin-system-upgrade.
With the release of another version of Fedora, users can now upgrade to Fedora 32. If you are looking to upgrade to Fedora 32, there are several ways to do so. In this article, readers will learn how to upgrade with the graphics tools available through Gnome Software and the command line with DNF plugin, dnf-plugin-system-upgrade.
Reports indicate that the update has been going smoothly so far, including kernel modules (especially with proprietary Nvidia drivers). However, just in case something goes wrong, it's important to create backups of important data and configurations before updating.
How to upgrade to Fedora 32 using Terminal
Regardless of whether you start from Fedora 30 or 31, the first thing to do is to update the system via DNF. This can be done by entering the following command in Terminal:
# dnf update
When the command is finished, you will want to install the DNF plugin, dnf-plugin-system-upgrade , using the following command:
# dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
You can use this plugin to upgrade to a new release of Fedora. If you're currently on Fedora 30, you can gradually upgrade to Fedora 31, then to Fedora 32. This guide updates directly to Fedora 32.
To upgrade, enter the following command:
# dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=32
You will be prompted to run another command automatically. Just type
This command will refresh all the archives to ensure you can get all the most up to date packages. This may take a while, depending on the network connection and performance of DNF.
The next prompt will list all packages and wait for your permission before continuing. Type
Enter. This step will download lots of packages, so feel free to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, then come back later.
When the order is completed, there will be a prompt telling you what to do next. To complete the upgrade, run the following command:
# dnf system-upgrade reboot
This step may take a long time.
When the system boots, the all-new Fedora 32 desktop will welcome you. Enjoy all the new features that come with Gnome Shell 3.36.
How to upgrade to Fedora 32 using GNOME Software
Another way to upgrade to Fedora 32 is through GNOME Software. This is easier for users who are worried about using Terminal or who just like the simplicity of working through the GUI. Follow the simple steps as follows:
1. Open Activities Overview , whether by moving to the upper left corner, clicking the word Activities in the upper left corner, or pressing the Super key, usually a key
Cmd, depending on the keyboard layout.
2. When you see Software in your favorites, open it.
3. Once Software is open, click Updates in the top menu bar.Once Software is open, click Updates in the top menu bar
4. You will see a screen with the content Fedora 32 Now Available . Click Download. Downloading will take some time.
5. After the download is finished, you will see a button to install. Click Install and enter the password.Click Install and enter the password
6. A screen will appear indicating that you should back up your data and plug your computer into a power source if it's a laptop. Click on Restart & Install .
The upgrade will take quite some time.
7. After the update is completed, you will be welcomed again to the new Fedora 32 desktop.You will be greeted with the new Fedora 32 desktop
Enjoy all the new improvements with Gnome Shell 3.36. With the new upgrade, you may want to install some Microsoft Truetype fonts or even play Witcher 3 on it.
- Compare Fedora and Ubuntu
- Differences between RHEL, CentOS and Fedora
- How to upgrade RAM on a Mac
- A few notes when upgrading for computers
- Install Cherokee with PHP5 and MySQL supported in Fedora 14
- Cannot activate iPad after iOS 9.3 upgrade. This is how to fix it
- Instructions for upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
- Should I upgrade RAM for my phone?
- DVD upgrade to Windows 8 costs 70 USD
- When to upgrade RAM for computers and laptops?