Warning: Squid Game scam apps are rampant on Google Play Store
Immediately, in all fields, Squid Game-based products appeared and the application development industry was no exception. Currently, there are many applications with content related to Squid Game, the Google Play Store alone has more than 200 applications. Globally, the total number of downloads of Squid Game-related applications has reached millions.
This is also an opportunity for cybercriminals to develop fraudulent applications based on Squid Game. Taking advantage of the attraction of the movie, the scam application will be downloaded by users without a doubt.
There have been a number of Squid Game scam apps that have been removed from the Play Store by Google.
The best example is an application called "Squid Wallpaper 4K HD". Under the guise of a wallpaper app with Squid Game-related content, the app distributes adware or subscribes to expensive SMS services without the user's knowledge.
"Squid Wallpaper 4K HD" contains the Joker malware that has been found in many other malicious apps on the Google Play Store. According to security researcher Lukas Stefanko, "Squid Wallpaper 4K HD" was installed on 5,000 smartphones before being removed by Google. Those who have installed this application should immediately remove it from their devices and check/cancel suspicious service packs.
- The winning scam from Google: 'Game cat' for vigilant people, 'tragic' for those who are light-hearted
- Download Google Play 24.2.15-16
- Google declined to add 55% of the new Android application to Play Store in 2018, but that's not enough!
- Fix Google Play Store not opening and downloading apps
- Google is determined to prevent bad apps before they reach users on the Play Store
- How to identify and avoid fake Android apps in Play Store
- Detected 205 malicious applications with more than 32 million downloads on Google Play only in last July
- What to do when Google Play Store is not working?