The world's largest underwater cave system is found on the Yucatan Peninsula
Not only is it an incredible place, it also contains many important archaeological discoveries and unknown biodiversity.
A group of adventurers from the Great Maya Aquifer Project (GAM) made an amazing discovery. After 10 months of hard work, the team found a link between two large underwater caves on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Sac Actun and Dos Ojos are two of the largest underwater cave systems in the world, with Sac Actun ranked second and Dos Ojos ranked fourth. Now that explorers have found a connection between the two caves, the entire system has turned into an underwater cave system up to 215 miles (346 kilometers) long, making it one of the caves. The largest in the world. Thus, the entire system will be called Sac Actun, taking the name of the larger cave.
In addition to exploring the world's largest underwater cave, the team also noted the immense biodiversity in the system, which GAM sought to better understand future discoveries. Moreover, they also discovered that this place is a treasure trove of Mayan archaeological signs. The team demonstrated by clear evidence of ancient civilization, the extinct plants and the Mayan culture. Interestingly, the Mayan culture has worshiped some caves as sacred lands, where priests can communicate with the gods.
Program director GAM Guillermo de Anda described the area as the most important submerged archaeological site in the world.
- Mysterious mysteries of 2000-year-old caves on the precipice of 50m high in Nepal
- There are hundreds of caves in Nottingham not yet discovered
- Discovering a 50 km long underground cave, 100 meters wide in the Moon may be a haven for people in the future
- Found 50 human bones in the cave, the result of the worst family slaughter in Scotland
- Two new species of shrimp are found in the Gulf of California cave
- The 'fairy' world in the ice cave is 12,000 meters deep
- The 2,700-year-old goddess sculpture is found in the Aegean Sea
- Why aren't the largest animals the fastest?
- Discover 10 8000 year old cave paintings in Turkey
- Amazon submits the invention of an underwater warehouse to maximize storage space
- Jailed for destroying Neolithic caves for refuge?