Causes, symptoms and treatment of bronchitis
- 5 types of food should be washed and 5 foods should not be washed before processing
- 3 methods that treat permanent foot warts that are simple
- 4 ways to deal with asthma attacks - bronchial asthma
Acute bronchitis is an infection of the main bronchial tubes that lead to a prolonged lung, usually less than a few weeks. The disease usually occurs after getting a cold virus or flu virus, when the immune system weakens and the lungs are irritated. Irritated bronchial mucosa will be inflated and thickened, causing narrowing or obstruction of the bronchi causing coughing and may be accompanied by sputum.
To treat bronchitis, you need to take over-the-counter pain relievers or throat relievers, and rest, drink warm water and steam to soothe your bronchial tubes. If symptoms are severe or persist for more than 1 week, you should see your doctor for appropriate treatment.
If bronchitis is not treated promptly, it can lead to pneumonia, lung abscess, pleural effusion . then the treatment will often be more difficult and the disease will be worse.
Common symptoms of acute bronchitis: continuous cough, sputum, usually appear 24-48 hours after coughing; high fever, chills; pain or feeling of chest tightness, pain under the sternum, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath.Join us to find out the causes, symptoms and treatment of bronchitis in this article!
Part 1: Reduce immediate bronchitis
1. Drink warm water
Adequate water intake is an important step when the body is fighting infection. Drinking warm water helps soothe sore throats, helping phlegm - the substance that you cough up when you have bronchitis - becomes looser and easier to cough up. Try drinking warm drinks below to help your body overcome bronchitis:
- Warm water mixes honey and lemon juice . Heat a cup of warm water, add lemon juice and honey to add flavor. Honey helps protect and soothe the throat, while lemon juice provides vitamin C and other nutrients.
- Chamomile tea, mint tea or other herbal teas . Herbal tea, especially tea used to treat sore throat, both works to provide water for the body, and support the treatment of symptoms of bronchitis.
- Warm soup . Hot chicken soup is nutritious and has a calming effect. Garlic soup is also an option to treat bronchitis symptoms. Alternatively, you can whisk minced garlic in a little olive oil, add chicken broth or vegetable broth, simmer and drink while still hot.
- Salt water . Saline is not used to drink, but to rinse your mouth helps soothe the irritated throat. Stir 1 teaspoon salt into 240 ml warm water. Rinse your mouth with salt water and spit it out.
Bronchitis is an infection in the lungs that can make you feel tired. At this point, you need to listen to your body and rest a lot, especially in the first days of infection, when you feel chest tightness and trouble breathing. It is a sign of the lungs that needs recovery time.
- At the beginning of chronic bronchitis, when the disease is at its worst, you should rest for a few days. Lying in bed or in a chair, try not to walk around to avoid exhaustion.
- Exercising while having a lung infection can make it worse. Avoid swimming, jogging, cycling or any exercise that makes you gasp during bronchitis.
3. Apply heat to your chest
Bronchitis can make you feel heavy, painful breasts, especially when you cough frequently. Hot compresses can help ease chest pressure. Try one of the following heating methods:
- Pour hot water into the bottle and place it on your chest .
- Apply pads to keep the heat on your chest. Should be placed on the coat to avoid burning the chest skin.
- Electric blanket.
- Hot bath.
4. Breathe in warm, moist air
When the lungs are irritated, warm, moist air can help ease the bronchial tubes. If the throat is dry, the lungs become more irritated and cause infection to last longer. Try the following moist air inhalation methods:
- Use a humidifier . Humidifier has the effect of adding moisture to the air in the room, sold in major pharmacies.
- Boil a pot of water on a fire . Boiling steam can increase the humidity in the room.
- Use a spray tube to inhale the mist from physiological salts and mist from filtered water.
- Put the bowl on the radiator. Heat from the radiator will cause water to evaporate and moisten the air.
- Take a bath or take a warm shower . Close the bathroom door so you can breathe in a lot of moist air.
5. Avoid tobacco smoke and lung irritants
When you have bronchitis, inhaling smoke can cause painful coughing spells. Smoke slows the recovery of the lungs. So avoid smoking or inhaling smoke. In addition, avoid the following lung irritation agents:
- Excessive pollution areas such as streets with too many vehicles;
- The ink area has a strong chemical odor like in factories, hair care salons and gas stations.
When you have bronchitis, coughing can help push the infection agent out of your lungs. Coughing up sputum is a normal symptom. On the other hand, taking over-the-counter medication that suppresses coughing can make the lungs recover more.
- If you feel too painful when you cough or cough continuously, you should see your doctor to make sure there are no other problems besides bronchitis. Usually, pneumonia and bronchitis have the same symptoms. Therefore, you should see your doctor to determine the right disease.
- Absolutely do not take over-the-counter medicines that inhibit coughing without consulting your doctor.
See also: 11 treatments for children who do not use antibiotics
Part 2: Treatment with drugs at home
1. Take over-the-counter pain relievers
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ) containing aspirin or ibuprofen can relieve the pain of infection in the lungs.
- Note : Do not take the recommended overdose.
2. Take medicine to soothe the throat
Avoid cough suppressants if possible. On the other hand, you can still take medicine to treat sore throat. Find an over-the-counter medicine containing benzocaine that helps to relieve irritated throat tissue. It is in the form of syrup and candy.
Use candy to treat natural cough . The cough lozenges from natural ingredients such as honey and lemon are sold at health food stores. If you want, you can make your own candy by following these instructions:
- Pour 1/2 cup of honey and a few drops of mint or eucalyptus essential oil into a small pot.
- Put the pot on the stove under sufficient fire, not too big. Stir constantly until the mixture boils.
- Use a dedicated thermometer ( candy and jam thermometer) to check the temperature of the honey mixture. Turn off the stove when the mixture reaches 150 degrees Celsius - the temperature of the honey hardens when cooled.
- Spoon a spoonful of honey and place it on a baking tray lined with oiled stencils. Wait for the mixture to harden, so it can be used to soothe the throat.
3. Use natural ingredients to fight chronic bronchitis
Natural ingredients may contribute to chronic cases of bronchitis, when the problem persists. In such cases, herbs such as apricot (Adhatoda vasica), wormwood (Hedychium spicatum), turmeric (Curcuma longa), blight (Terminalia belerica), incense (Ocimum sanctum) and liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) It can soothe the bronchial mucosa , dilute mucus and push mucus out of the lungs , and reduce the symptoms of continuous cough from irritation.
In addition, herbs such as ginger (Zingiber officinale), pepper (Piper nigrum), long pepper (Piper longum), and magical wire (Tinospora cordifolia) can help improve the immune system in patients with chronic bronchitis. . These herbs prevent frequent bronchitis.
- Note: Natural ingredients have not been tested and tested as drugs and may not contain ingredients listed on the packaging.
Part 3: See a doctor for treatment
1. Know when to see a doctor
When bronchitis is present, the body usually heals itself after about 1 week. However, there are also cases where the lungs cannot push the infectious agent out. Therefore, you should see a doctor immediately if you have the following situation:
- You are suffering from a health problem affecting your ability to recover from an infection;
- Cough too much to not sleep;
- Feeling weak enough to not cough;
- Cough continuously but without or little sputum;
- Notice that the phlegm gradually thickens;
- Cough lasts more than 1 week and does not seem to be relieved;
- Fever lasts more than a few days;
- Feeling awake or having trouble breathing.
2. Take a cough suppressant if you can't sleep
If your cough doesn't make you sleep or cause severe pain, your doctor may prescribe or recommend over-the-counter medicine to suppress the cough. A persistent cough for a long time will make your body tired so your doctor may decide to use a cough suppressant better for your condition.
3. Determine if there is an infection
Bronchitis is often caused by viral infection but because of lung irritation, it can make the body more susceptible to infection during the illness. If the infection is determined, the doctor may prescribe an antibiotic. Antibiotics help treat infections but do not treat the cause of bronchitis.
- Smoking increases the risk of infection in the lungs.
4. Determine if you have chronic bronchitis
Chronic bronchitis is a pulmonary infection that lasts for several years, symptoms that may be relieved or worsened. Chronic bronchitis is often caused by smoking or continuous inhalation of other agents that cause lung irritation.
- If you have chronic bronchitis, your doctor may prescribe an anticholinergic bronchodilator or steroid medication to help relax the collapsed lung tubes.
- If the body is unable to deliver oxygen to the blood, the doctor may recommend oxygen therapy such as using an oxygen tank at home.
- In addition, your doctor may recommend pulmonary rehabilitation - a breathing exercise program instructed by a therapist.
See also: 3 simple ways to effectively prevent dengue
- What is the RSV virus?
- 7 ways to reduce cough symptoms due to effective smoking at home
- 10 common diseases in children in the fall, symptoms and prevention
- Ho Chi Minh City has deployed the application 'Lookup for medical examination and treatment' on smartphones
- How to treat flu with garlic effectively does not require medication
- What is dry cough? Causes and symptoms of the disease
- Experience in controlling gout is effective during treatment
- What is aerosol? Effects and precautions when using aerosol
- Nausea and diarrhea may be early symptoms of Covid-19, before you have a fever and cough
- Fix 7 common computer symptoms